Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Today is election day. I feel like this election is an important one(as they all are). My blood has been boiling over the last week at stuff I've read. I am not a debater, and I do not like to argue with people. I like to keep this verse on my mind at all times:

Romans 12:18
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

I feel that very many are putting up defenses about the choice of their vote, especially Christians. I've seen countless arguments going on in several different blogs I read. I think a lot of people are thinking that as Christians we are just a bunch of judgemental hypocrites. While I think it is very important and necessary to stand up for what we believe, I think there has to be a stopping point to all this. Do you really think that by "coming down" on someone that it will just up and turn their vote around??

I am convinced that Satan is using this as a way to distract us from using our greatest weapon: prayer. If we took all the energy that arguing and debating is taking from us and used it to intercede for our country, our choices and our government, how much greater an impact would that make??? I think it would be huge! So, I'm issuing a challenge to those out there who read this blog. First off, vote as a Christian, not as a Democrat/Republican. Secondly, be in prayer continually today. Not only today, but in the coming months and years. For, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26(I say this for myself, b/c I tend to be a skeptic that my prayers really change anything involving our country...they do!!!)

Finally, here are a few Scriptures I've come across this morning while trying to find peace about this election and on my role as a Christian:

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. -1 Timothy 2"1-2

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." Eph 4:2

"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." Phil 1:27



Pray, pray and pray today!!!

3 comments:

Tom and Ashley said...

Amen!! thanks so much for posting this Sarah, GREAT reminder!! we have been praying and continue to do so. God is still on His throne!!

Autumn said...

Sarah,

Check out this article by John Piper: http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/TasteAndSee/ByDate/2008/3347_Let_Christians_Vote_As_Though_They_Were_Not_Voting/.

I'm right there with you--we're letting ourselves be dooped!

Nikki said...

Preach it, sister!