Friday, February 8, 2008

The day of Ultrasounds...

Today was a REALLY busy day. I had my OB appointment scheduled for 10:30. I dropped Tate off at my friend's house and we made plans to meet at Burger King after my appointment to let our kids play in the playland there. Tate's shot mark ended up looking better. Its still there, but it is fading fast, so that was a relief. I took Hunter with b/c of the ultrasound scheduled. We had to wait a long time b/c he was delivering. I had prayed and prayed that he would start taking my gall pain seriously, and when the nurse saw I'd only gained 1 pound in two weeks I finally got through to them! The doctor seemed a bit concerned that I am not keeping food down really, so he went ahead and ordered an ultrasound on my gallbladder. Then he thought the baby was breech, so he ordered a position check ultrasound for the baby at the big ultrasound room. So...we were able to get in at 1, so we went to Burger King(I did not eat anything) and then came back for that. They checked my liver, pancreas, kidneys and gallbladder and didn't find any stones. I was pretty disappointed, b/c I know something isn't right and the pain is so severe, but the lady said(and my doctor also said before when I had the ultrasound on my gallbladder pre-pregnancy) that the ultrasounds don't always show the problem and that my gallbladder could be not functioning properly which would also cause the pain I'm experiencing. The only way to tell, however, is to do a HIDA scan. The scan I was going to have the day I found out I was pregnant. It can't be done while pregnant. So... at this point the tech is going to give the report to the doctor and then we'll decide what to do from there, but it looks like not much will be done till after that HIDA scan, which is after the baby. I asked what food I should avoid and she said that lettuce is hard to digest and to stay away from dairy. I found the bit about lettuce interesting b/c that is ALL I have been eating this week. I eat lettuce salads for lunch and dinner. I thought it would be something healthy and non fatty, but apparently I need to stay away from them for now. I havne't had a salad today, and this is probably the best I've felt at this time of day all week. I think I'm going to be living off of chicken noodle soup and thats it for the rest of the pregnancy. I think that if I contiue to be sick they will take the baby early, since I'm not gaining weight like I should and in so much pain. I feel encouraged that we're trying things, though. My chiropractor said my back is out really bad where my gallbladder is. I went there twice this week. Anyway, then after the organ ultrasound they did the baby ultrasound. The tech was being trained by another head tech, and the head tech did the baby one and they said the baby was head down, so that is a relief!!! She showed me that the baby has hair and we looked at the heart for a long time and that looks really good, and then she showed me that we are DEFINATELY having a girl!!!!!!!! It was totally obvious! I have seen the proof I need to belive now! I am really excited! I knew this pregnancy felt different and now I know why for sure. We got to see her face really well, too. She was putting her thumb in and out of her mouth, we saw her mouth open and shut and we saw her yawn. Everything was so clear! I've never had an ultrasound this late in the pregnancy before, so it was amazing how much bigger and clearer some things were. It was a HUGE relief to me to see that the baby looks healthy, after all the pain this week and how much stress I've felt the baby has been under. I'm really excited and it has encouraged me and given me the boost I need to get through the rest of the pregnancy. I think this pregnacy would be great w/out the gall problems. I'm not near as uncomfortable as I was this late with Tate. Hunter was great at the doctor's office, considering we were there half the day. And it was so nice to not have to worry about Tate getting into stuff at the doctor's, thanks a million Nikki!! I had my fun friend Erin over tonight while our husbands were busy and that was a fun, relaxing ending to a hectic day. I am pretty exhausted now, though, so off to bed to dream about all things pink!!!

2 comments:

Nette said...

Yay for girls!
I will start praying for you pain...I have been forgetting.
Is it okay to eat cucumbers or celery to get greens in? I've heard lettuce is hard to digest. How funny since it is so watery.

Kristi said...

Lord, please give Sarah some relief from this pain. Thank you for her healthy baby GIRL! Amen.