For the last day or so I've realized that some things your parents grew up doing to you you can't avoid doing to your own children(whether you like it or not!) For example, my dad used to try really hard to make me smile when I was pouting, he'd make faces and say, "You want to smile, I know you do" and stuff like that, and Hunter has been pouting lately, he'll fold his arms and push his bottom lip out, and sure enough, I find myself saying and doing the same things to him as my dad did to me. I can just picture him doing it to me even as I do it to my son. Its funny really. Then, mom used to some days really crank up the music and dance around the kitchen while cooking or cleaning, and today I found myself in the kitchen, music cranked up singing and dancing with Hunter and Tate. I wonder if they will feel about it like I felt about it. (I didn't mind most of the time, mom, except when you brought out the John Elfante) It is inevitable, though. You WILL do the same things to your kids that your parents did to you. Its in your blood I think. And, its definitely not a bad thing.
Today we had MAC at the warehouse, where the kids play in the gym. We played London Bridges today, and I chased Hunter around a lot. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be "running" but it was fun. We bring out some toys stored there, like a kitchen set, some trucks and tractors and some balls. My kids did such a good job of picking them up! I am really proud of them. They have been doing an excellent job of pickup lately. I have them pick up the books and toys before nap and bedtime, and they do it without hardly any reminder(read: nagging). This may be a basic thing, but I think its awesome. I really want them to be responsible and self sufficient. I heard something the other day about if you don't train your kids to be responsible and self sufficient by doing the basics of picking up and stuff like that, then you are in essence teaching them to be lazy. I never had thought of it that way before. All I can say is that I am really proud of my boys.
Tonight Grandpa Steve came and got Tate for some one on one time with him. He took Hunter to the new Bee movie last Thursday, so he and Tate played over at his house tonight. So Brent and I took Hunter to Grandma Debbie's new work open house, and then we played Candy land. He was a bit preoccupied with all the special candy spaces, but he ended up winning(after I was totally ahead but got a lousy candy cane card at the end). It is fun to play games with him, now that he is a little older and is starting to comprehend that stuff. He's been carrying that blue bear around still, and he came to me upset b/c the bear was crying b/c daddy threw it across the room(I think they were playing) I showed him how to rock it to calm him down, and he was talking gently to it. He is really interested in all things baby! A little while later I was telling him that in a few months our baby will come out and sometimes it will cry and we can be gentle and calm to it, and he said, "Yeah, and daddy will throw it." So Brent and I had to have a talk :)
I still haven't satisfied my mozzarella stick craving, but I did make pecan bars today and ate half the pan. I'll maybe try making those ravioli things tomorrow.
I'm thankful for:
-the ability to stay home with the kids
-my portable DVD player to watch in bed when Brent is at work at night
-apple cider
-my kids(and Brent's) hugs and kisses
-Hunter telling me I'm his best friend today
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment